Pasta Salad with Avocado Tzatziki
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 tablespoon vinegar
12 ounces shaped pasta, your choice (I used orecchiette)
1 medium avocado, peeled and cubed
1 heaping cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, grated and drained (use a whole cuke when in season)
1 tablespoon champagne or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
1. Place the onions and vinegar in a small bowl and let sit while you prepare the dish (this reduces the sharp bite of the raw onion).
2. Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water, and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, mash the avocado with a squeeze of lemon juice and several pinches of salt.
4. Stir in the yogurt, mayo, cucumbers, champagne vinegar, sugar, another good squeeze of lemon juice and mix well. Drain the onions (discard the vinegar) and incorporate them, plus the radishes and dill, into the dressing. Taste, and add salt to your liking, keeping in mind that the flavors of the dressing will strengthen as the salad rests in the fridge. Start with a 1/2 teaspoon and go from there.
5. Place the cooled pasta in a large serving bowl, and fold in the avocado tzatziki dressing, taking care not to mangle the pasta. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop. (If the salad is too stiff or dry at serving time, add small amounts of milk or cold water, stirring to loosen the pasta and the dressing.)