Vegetarian Thai Peanut Soup
Savory Thai spices and creamy peanut butter, plus shiitake mushrooms and ramen noodles, flavor this hearty vegetarian Thai peanut soup.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 to 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut or peanut oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms , stems removed, sliced
- 1 cup diced sweet potatoes (peeled)
- 1 small red bell pepper sliced (or red chili pepper, if you want it spicy)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon pimenton (smoked paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk, well-shaken
- juice from one lime
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or, if you're not a practicing vegetarian, fish sauce, for extra umami)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 packs ramen noodles (3 ounces each), discard the flavor packets.
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
Heat 1 tablespoon oil to 4 or 5 quart dutch oven or stock pot over medium until shimmering. Add the mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and peppers and stir to mix. Cover, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms have given off their liquid, and the sweet potato dices are soft.
Scootch the vegetables aside and add 1 tablespoon oil to the cleared area. Add the ginger, garlic, curry paste, pimenton and turmeric to the oil and stir until it creates a fragrant paste, 30-60 seconds.
Increase heat to medium-high, and pour in the stock and coconut milk and stir. Add the lime juice, soy sauce (or fish sauce), brown sugar, and sesame oil. When the soup just begins to come to a boil (bubbles break the surface), reduce heat to medium-low.
Place the peanut butter in a heat-proof bowl, and add two ladles of the hot soup to it. Whisk until completely mixed, and add to the soup. Add the ramen to the soup, and cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Add half of the green onions and cilantro to the soup and stir. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, and divide the remaining green onions and cilantro, plus the chopped peanuts, among the bowls.