Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Festive chocolate whoopie pies with red and green sparkly sprinkles are a sweet and easy treat for the busy holiday season!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 9 cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons natural cocoa OR 3 tablespoons each black cocoa and natural cocoa
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar
- 1 1/3 cups Marshmallow Fluff or marshmallow creme
- a heaping 1/4 teaspoon extra-fine salt OR the salt of your choice dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar and egg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa(s), flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the vanilla into the milk.
Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture alternately with the milk/vanilla mixture, beating till smooth. Drop the dough by the 1/4-cupful, onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each cake.
Bake the cakes for about 15 minutes, or until they're firm to the touch. Remove them from the oven and cool completely on a rack.