Chicken Chili Soup
All the bold, spicy flavors of chili, in thick, aromatic soup form!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 pound chicken sausage (or turkey or pork sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon masa corn flour, optional
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- 8 ounces dried small pasta, such as elbows or shells
- kosher salt
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- sliced green onions
Heat a large 5 or 6 quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the sausage, and cook until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
Add one tablespoon of the the oil, plus the butter or ghee. When shimmering, add the aromatics (onions through mushrooms) and saute until soft, about 8 minutes.
Scoot the veggies to one side and add the remaining oil to the cleared side. Add the spices (chili powder through cumin) and 1 teaspoon kosher salt to the oil, and stir to create a paste. Mix into the vegetables. Add a splash of chicken broth if the mixture is too dry. Sprinkle the masa over the vegetables, if using, and stir.
Return the sausage to the pot, and add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, broth, herbs, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Increase heat slightly and bring the soup to a gentle boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
While the soup cooks, prepare the pasta in a separate pot, according to package directions. Drain.
Stir the pasta and cooked chicken into the soup and warm through. Taste, and add more salt as needed.
Ladle into bowls and serve with garnishes.