Rainbow Vegetarian Pad Thai
A big, beautiful bowl of colorful spiralized veggies, Vegetarian Pad Thai is a super healthy way to eat the rainbow.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil , coconut or olive
- 1 inch piece ginger , peeled and minced
- 1 zucchini , sliced into strips or "noodles"
- 1 yellow summer squash , sliced into strips or "noodles"
- 1 carrot , sliced into strips or shredded
- 1 heaping cup chopped or shredded red cabbage
- 1 small red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1 big handful bean sprouts
- 4 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- pad thai sauce
- peanuts , chopped
- cilantro , minced
- green onions , sliced on the diagonal
Prepare the rice noodles according to package directions. (Usually, this involves soaking them in very hot water for about 15 minutes.) Drain, and set aside.
While the rice noodles soak, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high until shimmering, add the ginger, and stir to coat. Drop in the zucchini, squash, carrot, cabbage, and bell peppers. Saute until the veggies are softened (5 to 8 minutes). Reduce heat to medium low, and let some of the liquid given off by the zucchini evaporate for a few minutes. Pour in the eggs, and swirl them around in the veggies until curds form. Add the bean sprouts and fold into the veggies. Pour some of the pad Thai sauce over the veggie mixture and stir.
Finally, mix in the rice noodles. Add more pad Thai sauce to suit (I prefer mine coated with, but not pooled in, sauce). Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and green onions.
Gluten-free: this recipe is gluten-free.
Vegan: leave out the eggs and double-check your Pad Thai sauce to make sure it doesn't contain fish products.