Bacon-wrapped Potatoes | Bacon Appetizers
These bacon-wrapped wunderkins will be the hit of your next party! So easy, too, as most of the work is done by the oven!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
for the potatoes
- 24 baby potatoes , scrubbed and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered onion
for the bacon
- 12 slices thick cut bacon , sliced in half across the equator to create 24 shorter slices
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
for the dipping sauce
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- 2 teaspoons BBQ sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Line a rimmed half-sheet pan with foil (one continuous piece is best, to keep the bacon grease from seeping between sheets). If you have an oven-safe wire rack that fits the pan, spray it with non-stick spray and place it in the pan. Using a wire rack will let the bacon grease drain away and help the bacon to crisp up nicely.
assemble and bake
Wrap one seasoned potato with one half strip of bacon (glazed side facing out). Secure the bacon end with a plain* wooden toothpick pushed into the potato. Place the potato on the wire rack.
Repeat with the remaining potatoes and bacon slices.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool until handleable. Carefully remove the toothpicks**, leaving the bacon wrapped around the potato.
prepare the dipping sauce
Transfer the appetizers to a serving tray. Transfer the dipping sauce to a nice serving bowl, or, if you have small dipping bowls, let your guests fill their own.
* Make sure you use only plain wooden toothpicks, not colored. The color will run into the potatoes and leave unappetizing stripes of coloring.
** Although the toothpicks seem like a good handle for dipping the bites into the sauce, they actually don't hold the weight of the potato very well: They'll slip out easily after roasting. So, I always remove the toothpicks, even for a party.