Dairy-free and absolutely delicious, cashew cream based vegan ranch dressing is the answer to your creamy salad dressing cravings!
When you give up dairy, or go vegan or WFPB (whole food, plant-based), leaving behind rich and creamy foods like ranch dressing can be a real challenge, no matter how deep your motivation.
But thanks to cashew cream — my miracle answer to those cravings for things like sour cream, alfredo sauce … and ranch dressing — you and the fam won’t have to neglect your favorite salads, or anything that else ranch dressing tops like a champ.
If you haven’t yet tried cashew cream (and aren’t allergic to tree nuts!), pull up and seat and let me tell you about cashew cream.
Other nuts blend up into heavy, densely flavored nut butters. But cashews … with a little extra water, they blend smooth, light and completely creamy. It’s even white, rather than beige. And unlike nut butters, cashew cream doesn’t taste at all like cashews. It’s somehow savory and fresh and creamy, all at the same time.
And when blended with seasonings like garlic and miso and lots of fresh herbs, you’ll never have to pine for rich ranch dressing ever again, thanks to homemade vegan ranch dressing.
How to Make Vegan Ranch Dressing
- If you have a regular blender, you’ll need to soak the raw cashews first. In a large bowl, cover the raw cashews by an inch with cold water, and leave on the counter for an hour or two. Drain well.
- Add the cashews, fresh water, and the other ingredients except the green herbs to a blender jar, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the herbs and pulse until mixed in. Don’t blend too long, or the dressing will turn green – the herbs should be visible in the dressing.
- For best flavor, refrigerate for 4 hours.
- The dressing will store in the refrigerator about a week, provided the ingredients (such as the vegan mayo) were not set to expire before then.
Top your salads. Top your tacos. Dip your veggies. And be every so happy that ranch dressing is still in your life :).
Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place the raw cashews in a bowl and cover with water; let soak for at least one hour*.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a high speed blender, along 3/4 cup fresh water, and the ingredients through onion powder. Process until creamy and smooth.
- Add the fresh herbs and pulse just to combine. (Don't blend too long, or the herbs will turn the dressing green.)
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for several hours, to let the flavors develop and combine.
Pin Vegan Ranch Dressing recipe for later:
Pinterest fans, if you’d like to save this recipe for later, use these images (or any image above) to pin to your boards (they’re small here, but thanks to the magic of the interwebs, they’ll be full size when you pin them). Thanks for sharing, and most of all, thank you so much for reading this post! Blogging wouldn’t be any fun without you!