A super easy, all-season weeknight meal, turkey sloppy joes are a gently spiced, healthied-up version of the classic sandwich favorite!
Food lovin’ friends, I have a little confession to make. So, yikes, right, because a confession on the interwebs is weird and risky. You gather it up in the palm of your hand, and then blow it out into the wind, like dandelion fluff, never really knowing where it will land or how it will be welcomed.
But this is just a itsy-bitsy-teeny-weenie one, and if you’ve read this blog for any stretch at all, it won’t come as any surprise. Okay, ready. Deep exhale.
I’m not a huge fan of ground beef. I know, whuutt? Aside from vegetarians and vegans, who’s not a fan of ground beef?!
Mmmmaybe you? Please tell me I’m not the weirdo standing alone in the corner (peeking from between my fingers to see if there’s anyone left in the room).
Oh, I like the occasional grilled hamburger just as much as the next girl. But one hamburger will tide me over for months. Months. And any dish lined with that orange ring of grease is enough to make my stomach turn.
Howevvvver. I do love all those traditionally beef-filled dishes when I can take them, tweak, and recreate with a protein that’s more in line with my palate, like chicken or turkey or tempeh.
And that’s how turkey sloppy joes came to be. No beefy greasy mess, just lean and savory turkey in a perfectly spiced tomato sauce. Because what reeallly makes sloppy joes so delish is all stuff that gets added to the pan while it’s cooking. Not the protein, but the spices and the chili peppers and rich tomato paste.
Served on a whole wheat bun with a quick homemade slaw and a little extra sharp cheddar cheese … mmmmmhmmmm!
And best of all, this is a weeknight-friendly meal that’s great any time of the year, whether you’re serving with a side of fries, a big green salad, or even soup. I might be just the slightest bit biased, as turkey sloppy joes make an appearance in Casa SoupAddict at least once a month, but I bet even your most hard-core beef lovers will love these turkey sloppy joes!
Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small can mild green chilis
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce or puree
- kosher salt
- Spray a large skillet or low-walled pan lightly with oil, and heat over medium. Flick water droplets into the pan, and when they sizzle, add the ground turkey, breaking up any clumps with a spatula. Cook the turkey until browned, and then add the onions and chilis. Saute until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Scootch the turkey mixture to one side, and, if there are turkey juices left in the pan, tilt the pan to pool the juices in the cleared area. Or, pour a little of olive oil into the cleared area.
- Sprinkle the spices over the liquid and stir to form a fragrant paste. Add the tomato paste, and mix thoroughly with the spices.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, and mix everything together, seasoning with a big pinch or two of salt. Reduce heat to low and serve when you're ready.
Pin Turkey Sloppy Joes recipe for later:
Pinterest fans, if you’d like to save this recipe for later, use this image (or any image above) to pin to your boards (it’s small here, but thanks to the magic of the interwebs, they’ll be full size when you pin them). Thanks for sharing, and most of all, thank you so much for reading this post! Blogging wouldn’t be any fun without you!