Enjoy a tasty, satisfying weeknight-easy dinner in under 30 minutes with this White Chicken Chili, made with healthy beans, zesty green chiles, and convenient rotisserie chicken.
Say hello to the easiest white chicken chili ever.
“Hello, my delicious bones-warming, weeknight-easy soup!”
This recipe is so easy, you’ll commit it right to memory after making it a couple of times.
- Saute the onions until soft.
- Stir in the green chiles and spices until fragrant.
- Add the flour to thicken into a paste.
- Tip in the broth and simmer.
- Finish by adding the chicken and beans to warm through.
Five ingredients to shop for; five steps!
This recipe takes a few shortcuts in preparation, but doesn’t skimp on the results.
If you want to use beans cooked from dried, you can absolutely do that. And if you prefer to cook the chicken yourself, go for it!
One of the best parts of this soup, I think, is how it invites variety, depending on the garnishes you use.
Sour cream? Yes, please! A pinch of red pepper flakes. Chopped cilantro, sliced hot chiles. Crunchy tortilla strips. Shredded cheese.
It’s all good – whatever you and fam are in the mood for.
And of course, it’s hard to be grumpy about the ease of a rotisserie chicken.
This is the kind of meal you can decide upon at the last minute, pick up at the grocery store on your way home from work (along with a crusty French baguette), and still have time to get everything on the table.
Quick note about the serving size: if you’re feeding a hungry family, double the beans, and up the chicken broth to a full quart (you shouldn’t need more than one rotisserie chicken). The recipe as written feeds four as a side (with, say, black bean burgers), or two as the star of the meal in a hefty bowl.
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 4 ounces green chiles (mild or hot, your choice)
- 1 teaspoon Adobe seasoning*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded**
- 15 ounces Great Northern beans, drained (or other small white bean)
- kosher salt
- sour cream
- red pepper chili flakes
- sliced jalapeños
- tortilla strips
- minced cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a 3 to 4 qt pot over medium until shimmering. Add onions and saute until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the green chiles, spices and flour, and stir well. The vegetables will be thick and a bit pasty.
- Pour in the chicken broth and raise the heat to medium-high. The soup come to an active boil then reduce to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and beans, and let heat through (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with suggested toppings.